APRA Conference & Trade Show - Media Contest
The Arizona Parks and Recreation Association would like to invite all photographers both amateur and professional, to share your best original photos taken at any Arizona park or recreation facility, event, sport, program, or class.
Submit up to three of your favorite Parks and Recreation photos by Friday June 28th, 2013
Entry Form & Photo Release
A. Parks and Recreation Facilities - We're looking for stunning photos that showcase Arizona’s parks and recreation facilities (except trails - see Category B). Photos may include people using and enjoying the facilities. Examples may include:
- Facilities within an outdoor park, park playground or shelter, skate park, fishing lake, etc.
- Golf courses
- Outdoor sports complexes, such as softball fields, soccer fields, pickle ball courts, etc.
- Aquatic facilities
- Indoor recreation facilities (exterior or the facilities inside).
B. Trails - We're looking for photos that demonstrate the natural beauty of Arizona’s trails. Photos may include people using the trails. We're interested in photos from all seasons and trail users in various modes of transportation - walking, running, bicycling, wheeling, snow skiing, etc.
C. Recreation Programs, Sports, Events, and Classes - We're looking for photos of people enjoying programs, sports, events, or classes that are hosted by Parks and Recreation Departments.." A "great photo" might also be an amazing action shot or one that demonstrates the scope or captures the spirit of an event. Portrait-oriented photos in this category have the possibility of being selected. (Close-up photos of people should be entered under Category D)
D. Faces and Activities - We're looking for eye-catching, close-up photos of people that show their facial expressions and emotions as they are engaged in or enjoying a parks and recreation activity. (Make sure you obtain a release form from the subject person (see Rule #4.)
E. Landscape, Wildlife, and Nature - We're looking for beautiful photos of the natural areas, woods, trees, or wildlife. Landscaping photos may also include the formal landscape beds in our parks and flowers maintained by the Parks and Recreation Departments in downtown planters or street islands.
- Eligibility -The contest is open to all participants of any age. We also encourage all Parks and Recreation employees and their immediate families to participate.
- Deadline - Submissions must be delivered to the 200 S. Center St. Building 1 Mesa, Az. 85210 by 5pm on Friday June 28th, 2013 to be considered.
- Photographer's Rights - Photographer retains all rights to any photographs submitted - including ownership if applicable - other than those rights licensed in the next sentence. By entering the contest, the photographer hereby grants the Arizona Parks and Recreation Association :
(i) a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, use in publications and associated trade magazines, publicly display and publicly perform the photographs you submit to the Arizona Parks and Recreation Association , and
(ii) The right to use your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
- Photographer's Responsibility - If you choose to include close-up shots of people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to the Parks and Recreation Department upon request. (Standard model release forms can easily be found on the Internet.)
- All photographs must have been taken within the past three years at a Arizona Parks and Recreation facility, event, sport, program, or class to be considered.
- Photos should accurately reflect the subject matter and scene as it appeared. Photos should not be digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.). Multiple exposures that have been combined to produce a single "high dynamic range" image are acceptable.
- Image orientation may be portrait or landscape. Images should be high resolution of at least 3.2 million pixels (3.2 megapixels) or greater. Resolution can be calculated by multiplying the pixel width of the image with the pixel height. For example, a setting of 2000 x 1600 pixels = 3.2 megapixels.
- Images that do not meet these requirements may or may not be judged at the judging panel's sole discretion.
How to Submit:
- Digital photos in jpeg format must be submitted on a CD labeled with the photographer's name or emailed to email@example.com . Each photo's file name must be labeled with the following format: lastname_firstname_01.jpg, lastname_firstname_02.jpg, and so on. The numbers on the file name should correspond with the Image #s on the Photograph Entry Form
- 8x10 prints must be submitted for all digital entries. All prints must be at 200 S. Center St. Building 1 Mesa, Az. 85210 by 5pm on Friday June 28th, 2013 to be considered.
- A maximum of three photographs per photographer may be submitted in any combination of the contest categories.
- Photographers are to complete and sign an Entry Form and to be submitted along with their entries.
- On the Entry Form, photos should be listed with the following information:
- Image # - should correspond with the number on the image file name.
- Location - identify the park, recreation facility, or other location where photo was taken.
- Description - name of event, sport, program, or class, if applicable.
- Category - choose one of the five photo contest categories. (Judges reserve the right to adjust the category selected when deemed appropriate.)
- Year Taken - (No photographs older than three years, please.)
- Email Digital Copies to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail or deliver a CD along with the Entry Form to 200 S. Center St. Building 1 Mesa, Az. 85210 all photos must be at location by 5pm on Friday June 28th, 2013 to be considered
Judging - The judges appointed by the Arizona Parks and Recreation Association shall determine winner eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion. All decisions made by the judges are final. Photograph entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Overall impact
- Technical excellence
- Artistic merit
- Relevance to theme: "Creating Community through People, Parks and Programs"
- Legal Conditions - By entering, participants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Arizona Parks and Recreation Association , its respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents and representatives, from any all third party liability for any injuries, loss, claim, action, demand or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the competition (collectively, "Losses"), including without limitation any third party claim for copyright infringement or a violation of an individual's right to privacy and/or publicity right.
- Other – Arizona Parks and Recreation Association is not responsible for lost entries. Arizona Parks and Recreation Association reserves the right to adjust any deadline(s) as the result of causes beyond its immediate control.